Sunday 12 November 2017

Kauai 2017 Days 5 and 6

I was woken up by the early morning birds taking off from Lawai Beach Resort.  So I thought I'd get caught up on this.  The parakeets that arrive at sunset here and take off at sunrise are quite noisy and it reminds me of Hitchcock's the birds.  I remember now that when we stayed at Kuhio Shores on our last trip, we made sure not to park under a tree as our car was covered in bird droppings after our first night.  Anyways, day 5 was our transition day from Hanalei Bay resort to Lawai Beach Resort and the timing was pretty good as it was raining all the way from Princeville to Lihue.  We took the bypass route thinking to save time going around Kapaa but traffic was so bad, we crawled bumper to bumper from the traffic circle to Coco Palms when it opened up a bit and started to flow better. We stopped at Ross's to get the guys some new shorts and at Walmart for some golf balls.  We had said we weren't going to golf this trip but as addicts it's just too hard to resist.  We can manage the cost if we golf Puakea which Kelly and I enjoyed on our last trip.  We got to Lawai Beach Resort early but they had our room ready and were able to check in.  We are in a one bedroom in the Coral Building and it's lovely.  We overlook the pool and can just see the ocean to the side of the Beach House.


This is a very nice place.  I won a silent auction prize to get this room.  I follow the Poipu Beach Resort Association on Facebook and they have a silent auction in December to raise money for the New Year's Eve Fireworks.  One of the prizes was a one week stay in a one bedroom Coral room at Lawai Beach Resort.  My bid of 550 dollars stayed good all day until the last minute when somebody beat me out with a 600 dollar bid.  I was disappointed but thought oh well it wasn't meant to be.  I then got an email in January saying the winner didn't claim their prize and it was mine for my original bid if I still wanted it.  Of course I did and we're finally here.  Once we got unpacked and I did our laundry we wandered down to The Shops at Kukuiula for some dinner and a margarita at Tortilla Republic.  After dinner it was an early night as we had a fishing charter the next morning.

Day 5 we were up before the birds and the sun making our way to the Lihi Boat Ramp to meet Terry from Hawaiian Style Fishing for a 4 hour  charter.  The weather was beautiful but the swells were high and it didn't take me long to succumb to Mal de Mer.  It was the first of several episodes even though I'd taken sea sick pills but I still managed to stick it out for the 4 hours.  Kelly and Evan had no problem.  We caught several Aku and a couple of Yellowfin and considered it a succesful day.







When we got back to shore we even saw this fellow swimming around by the boat launch.


We got back to our condo and showered and cleaned up and Evan and I went to get a Puka Dog and some groceries.  We played some mini golf and lazed around the condo for the afternoon as nobody had much energy.  Kelly made some ceviche from some of the tuna and I pan seared the rest with some pasta salad for dinner. We watched a little tv and had a hot tub and that was it we were done.  The fresh air day on the water really wore us out.  Today we don't have plans to venture too far.  We'll get some snorkel gear and try Lawai Beach and maybe Koloa Landing and Poipu Beach. The sun is up now and looks like it's going to be a beautiful day on the south shore. 

2 comments:

  1. I didn't know there was a Ross there! Did you get to keep the fish to grill at the resort?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This specific seems to be definitely excellent. These very small facts are produced using wide range of qualifications know-how. I favor the idea a good deal Kauai Whale Watching Tours

    ReplyDelete